Friday, December 5, 2008

Ribbons of Light

Normally on Thanksgiving or the day afterward, we put up all of the Christmas decorations. This year, we spent the two days after Thanksgiving with some good friends of ours, so we didn't get started on the decor until Saturday afternoon. The timing could not have been more perfect. Just as I started to string the blue and white lights around the window of the playroom, a light snow started to fall. And as it got dark, the snow, combined with the beautiful Christmas lights across the street, made quite a scene. The street was wet, reflecting the lights, and I couldn't help but take some pictures. I had my camera on slow shutter speeds and started to get impatient. Well, it turned out to be a good accident, because my movement made some interesting pictures!



Earlier that day, I attending the Beaux Art Bizarre at the newly renovated Missouri Theatre and came across some gorgeous photos of the Magic Tree, a tree that is strung with thousands of lights and is stunning when you drive by it. The man who creates this "senseless act of beauty"--he goes by the name Will Treelighter--was selling his photos at the show and told us about his tree. He also has one at his house and he says it takes him 120 hours to string the lights--I'm not sure if that's putting up and taking down, but it's impressive nonetheless. The reason why he does it is so beautiful, and you should take a minute to read his website.

Later that night, I saw the movie Synechdoche, NY with my friend Ginny, which was amazing (an emotional roller coaster/tragicomedy sort of movie). I cannot recommend it enough. It was quite the magical day (except for a stupid mistake on my part that involved not letting Jevon know I was going to be gone so long--the movie was spur of the moment--and he was at home worried I'd gotten into a car accident!).

Tonight, we will hopefully experience more magic as we attend the Living Windows Festival downtown and we are also bringing the camera in case the magic tree is lit!

No comments: