Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What I'm loving...


What I'm Loving...
Originally uploaded by Papillon Sky
(Click on the picture to see a bigger version. )
1. Pepe and the Bottle Blondes.
A very Pink Martini-esqe sort of band with a Latino, jazzy, swing music flare. Sure to beat those winter blues and you won't be able to stop your feet from tapping. The kids beg me to turn it up!
2. Homemade Yahtzee and our newly established game night. Got the idea from Chris. Jevon made the dice and my mom sent a few Yahtzee score cards for us to copy.
3. The book Any Room for Me? and accompanying wooden animals made by Chris, painted, sanded, and finished with beeswax polish by my kids, and mitten made by me...
4. My camera and my new lenses and the new world I am finding through my new eyes...
5. Girlie things, even though I fought so hard to make sure my children would have equal opportunity to all kinds of toys and clothes, regardless of their sex, both children have taught me a lesson by being very much a stereotype of their own gender. Kai is very, very boy and Tea is very, very girl and loves princesses, even though we have never read a princess book and she has never seen a Disney princess movie. I'm just letting go and letting them love what they love (although I'm still not going to show them a Disney movie or go too crazy in that direction).
6. The idea of starting my own photography business. Stay tuned! You could win a free photo session!
7. Serendipity--finding old friends from high school and even here and finding out they are photographers too.
8. Drumming class. I took another workshop with Pam Fleenor and loved it.
9. Pottery. We missed a few classes in December due to weather. We had our first class of the semester last night and we were all hugging each other--we were so happy to be back! What a great group of people. I am not the best potter but I do enjoy the class!
10. A few new things since we rarely buy new (bedspread, and gifted pasta maker).
And more things like sunshine, and good friends, an assortment of beautiful handmade Christmas gifts, and playing at the park on a cold, cold day. See the mosiac I made above...

3 comments:

Heather Williams said...

I want to be a photographer like you! I know you say you're an amateur, but I think your pictures are amazing. They look like they should be in magazines -- the lighting, setting, content, angles. They're all so beautiful.

Amy Jerke said...

Thanks, Heather!! You're so sweet!!

Angie said...

Hi Amy - I surfed over from Chris' blog and just thought I would say hello and that I love your photos!